Background

La Estetica Cristina


These are my friends Luz, Kenia, and Belinda.  I’ve know these girls for just over 2 years now.  Ever since I first met them, they’ve had a consistent case of lice that is the worst I’ve ever seen or imagined (practically every girl is forced to shave her head at this point).  Down here, getting lice is quite common though.  In fact, I had my first encounter with lice just a few weeks ago.  It was not as painful or irritating as I thought it would be and I got rid of it pretty quickly, but I had relatively few in my hair.  I began to empathize with them after I had my own taste of it.  This is why, two weekends ago I decided to go down to their house and see what I could help them do.

I wanted to make it kind of fun though, so I brought some magazines and told them it was the Estetica Cristina.......yes, that is their pet turkey behind Belinda in the picture below.
After a few HOURS they got a little bored though, so we moved inside to watch a movie.
Three heads of hair, an entire box and a half of lice treatment, and 4 ½ hours later, we rushed off to pick up another girl from the church and headed to the Mission Church in Vicente Guerrero for the Tambourine conference.  It was quite a long day, but definitely worth it to know they might be itching a little less these days (granted, I did not get them all….that’s practically impossible considering how many there were). 

Care for a little education on lice (piojos en español)?  (courtesy of http://www.emedicinehealth.com/lice/article_em.htm):

The head louse is a grey-white animal about 2 mm-3 mm in length (about the size of a sesame seed). The life span of the female louse is about one month. During this time, she will produce between seven to 10 eggs ("nits") per day and attach them firmly to the hair shaft region close to the scalp or body. These nits, which resemble dandruff, are attached with a gluelike, water-insoluble substance that makes them difficult to remove. After six to 10 days, the nits hatch as nymphs and become adults in 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment